Hominy Baptist Church, Candler, North Carolina – 2006 – present
Beverly Hills Baptist Church, Asheville, North Carolina – 1997 – 2005
Minister of Education
Enslow Park Presbyterian Church (PCUSA), Huntington, West Virginia – 1995 – 1997
Director of Christian Education
West Virginia Baptist Foundation for Campus Ministry and American Baptist Campus Minister, Marshall University Huntington, West Virginia – 1991 – 1994
Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, North Carolina – 1988 – 1989
Baptist Campus Minister Intern
- Directed educational ministries, planned and coordinated Bible study and missions education programs for children, adolescents and adults, evaluated and met curriculum needs, recruited and trained volunteer teachers and leaders.
- Guided churches through self-study and strategic planning discernment processes.
- Provided staff support and promotional materials for capital campaign and stewardship campaigns.
- Led in design, training and implementation of team-based ministry structure. Provided staff support and training for church committees and teams.
- Served as consultant in Christian education, church administration and campus ministry for churches.
- Presented workshops at local, regional and state training events.
- Developed and managed budgets and policies, supervised volunteer and paid staff, administered facilities, led staff and congregations in absence of pastor and during interim pastorates.
- Directed church and organizational marketing strategies and media relations. Designed and produced newsletters, logos, brochures, promotional literature and multi-media presentations. Worked closely with website designer and served as webmaster to keep content current. Issued press releases and granted interviews.
- Created and managed database for tracking and maintaining contact with first-time guests and regularly attending non-members. Established outreach program for follow-up contact with guests. Designed, promoted and led age- appropriate classes for new and prospective members.
- Provided vocational counseling and coaching for youth, college and divinity students, lay and ordained adults.
- Cultivated and maintained strong supportive relationships with students, church members and colleagues.
- Traveled regularly, representing campus ministry foundation at churches through regular visits, correspondence, and participation in associational and state convention events.
- Served on associational, regional and statewide steering teams, responsible for congregational enrichment programs and shared planning and coordination of ministry among diverse congregations.
- Led in planning and implementation of youth, student and adult retreats and conferences at local, associational and state levels.
- Provided worship leadership for weekly services in liturgical, traditional, blended, and contemporary styles. Prepared and presented sermons, children’s messages, Bible studies, seminars and workshops.
- Led local mission projects and trips: made contacts, recruited, trained and debriefed volunteers, coordinated publicity, fund raising, transportation, lodging, activities and meals.
- Led Baptist campus ministry in ecumenical setting and coordinated regional programming for Baptist campus ministries at six Appalachian colleges and universities.
Gardner-Webb University School of Divinity
Adjunct Professor – 2006, 2008
Gardner-Webb University Board of Ministers
Member 2007 – 2009, 2011 – Present
Baptist State Convention of North Carolina
Consultant, Church Administration/Team Ministry – 2006 – Present
Western North Carolina Baptist Network (now Fellowship)
Chair, Network Steering Team – 2006 – 2009
Young Adult Ministry and Church Life Teams – 2003 – 2005
Western North Carolina Christian Education Peer Learning Group
Member – 2002 – Present
Convener – 2005 – Present
Christian Educators of North Carolina
Member – 1997 – 2009
Executive Council – 2005 – 2008
Christian Education Team Leader – 2001 – 2004
Vacation Bible School Director, Adult Sunday School Consultant – 1998 – 2004